Kujo_1_I
If you look back at the interfaces of PC's they have gotten easier and easier to use. I would also argue that developers are working to make computers more dumb-proof because there are so many people everywhere using it. Computers are no longer the product of the few but the many. That goes for so much more too; cars, MP3 players, ATM's, self checkout lines and food ordering devices (such as those in AJ). All these interfaces have to be designed by someone thinking about the masses. As we further push interfaces to be more user friendly I bet that we will see a large change in everything including how we develope products.
Labels: Michael Kujawski

3 Comments:
I dont believe that developers are "dumbing" it down by simplifying it for people. They are just trying to make it more accessible and easier to get tasks done efficiently.
I am kind of a computer nerd and I like playing with different types of systems (Windows, OS X, and Linux) But out of all of these I like the linux and OS X distros that simplify things down where everything is easier to use and complete the tasks that I want to achieve. Complication only leads to confusion and frustration. That doesnt mean you are smarter if you can work around that and deal with confusing and frustrating things. It probably means you are just a bit more patient with machines giving you a hard time.
Another thing to think about is the next generation. They've been growing up with the internet and will approach problems from a different perspective. They will be used to the easy-to-use interfaces and may find ways to make things even easier to use.
With more do-it-yourself user interfaces popping up such as the self-checkouts showing up, we also might start to get a little concerned about the obsolescence of jobs. Why have a cashier you have to pay on a regular basis when you can have a self-checkout machine? Although I suppose this is nothing new.
In response to Evan's comment, we don't have to be worried about a shortage of jobs due to increases in labor productivity. As long as we have wants that remain somewhat unfullfilled, there will be no shortage of jobs. Jobs will move around in the market but there will be no shortage. Televisions and automobiles were once reserved to the wealthiest people but now they are available to almost everyone because of the increase in labor productivity. Increases in productivity, increase output and increases the ratio to consumer goods and supply of labor, which make prices lower relative to the wage rate. All of that increases the standard of living, which is a very good thing.
Post a Comment
<< Home