Kujo_2_Q
I like the idea of Genius Design, it seems to be the place were the most initiative product's come from. The iPod was the example in the book, and then I thought about the Guitar Hero guitar. Who would have thought that five buttons and a flip switch would make such a great game! There are a few different versions of it to but really I only think that the orgional wired controls are any good and that the wireless one's are just something to say that you can play wirelessly. Though I have heard that people have many problems with them.
After a Google search I couldn't find much more on Genius Desin. My question is, can anyone else think of any?
Labels: Michael Kujawski

5 Comments:
I sought out some genius designs after reading your post. Here's a link to a page with some interaction designs that I can only assume were created through the Genius method.
http://www.interactiondesignblog.com/2008/10/20-cool-interaction-design-concepts/
The designs include: a bendable mobile phone, interactive LED table tops, and an interactive digital photo album, among a lot of other neat stuff. Hopefully this is what you were looking for!
One that is about to hit the market is a SD card for digital cameras that have wi-fi built into them, so that when the card is in range of a network, it will automatically upload all of your pictures to your computer. It even uploads your pictures to sites like facebook and myspace. Whoever thought of that is probably going to be quite rich.
The WaterBoard that I saw in your link Bryanna was super sweet! I have heard that programing water to do things in video games and movies was hard enough, but to see it react to a live force. That's just sweet.
I have to wonder though if there is sound to the water falling, that would just make it perfect. This is by far not just a exhibit but that would be a great addition to anyone whose house is set up Feng Shui and relaxation.
I wonder what would happen if this was in the wall of a pre-school? Fun and creative things I bet!
I think both the Wii Remote and Wii fit balance board are both examples of "genius design." Nintendo decided that instead of hyper-realistic graphics, that users simply wanted to play something entertaining. If you look back at the other console wars, historically the console in 3rd place usually goes out of business, which most people expected Nintendo to be after the Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 battle. Nintendo was able to carve out a niche in the market with a console that's completely unique from the other available video game systems.
How about Microsoft’s Surface and Sphere? I think the idea is somewhat similar to iPhone and iPod touch since they both involve “touch screen.” However, if I think about it, some of the basic standard stuff we have today are “genius designed.” I think computer keyboards, mouse, touchpad, etc, can all be considered as “genius design” in some ways.
Post a Comment
<< Home