Evan_1_Q
I thought the chapter was a very good introduction to the book. I think it's very interesting to read about the constant evolution of our communication devices, from smoke signals and cairns all the way to the telephones and the internet. And much like we probably think having an operator direct our telephone calls is pretty archaic --even though it was only a little over 30 years ago-- I'm sure the next generation will look at our iPhones, Bluetooths (Blueteeth?), and the current iteration of the internet and laugh at us ("You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!"). It just seems like interaction designers are making bigger leaps at a faster pace than they used to. Either that or "just a little tweak here, just a little tweak there" really does make a big difference.
And with all of our communication devices having increasingly easier to use user interfaces, more people are communicating with each other probably then ever before. The world is becoming smaller and smaller every moment. I think most of us can agree that having simple, easy-to-use interfaces is a good thing. And these are not just appearing in our communication devices, but in everyday devices as well.
My question is, is there such a thing as "too simple?" Some might consider simplification a dumbing down process or a way to avoid thinking or work. If things become too simple, are we headed towards a dystopian Idiocracy or WALL-E type of future where humans have simplified things to the point where there is almost no thought process involved and they barely have to do any work (and have become lazy, obese slobs as a result)?
Labels: Evan Bell

6 Comments:
It depends on the format I think. If we use technology to over-simplify our lives then eventually this will create something that requires no effort, which will lend to a Wall-E type future. But if we simplify the way just the way we communicate and interact with others in a communication sense I dont see how that could lead to all of us becoming obese slobs that refuse to do anything but eat and sleep.
Remember, that human nature is questioning and while some of us do not think at all there are people out there that think. Some people just can't stop questioning the world around them. Also there are people who are very active and use technology to their benefit such as park rangers, athletes of the Olympics and the military. Humans always want better, even if we got to that Wall-E state I don't think it would last for long. We would tire of that and move forward to something else.
Just posted a similar comment about WALL E on Justin's post. I think we are definitely heading towards a WALLE future if we keep doing the things we do. We want what we want, and we want it now. People are always looking for quick fixes, whether it's turning to cosmetic surgery or diet pills for weight loss, or buying a Big Mac instead of taking the time to cook some food. Interaction design can do great things for the communication process, but I think we have to take the effort to draw the line somewhere.
I don't think it is a good idea to slow any progress down. There is a bright future that I think we will get to one day. We have this world pretty much all explored, now we just have the rest of the universe. As technology improves, i think the human race will improve. Technology improves humans by making us more effective. The assembly line, the printing press, computers, etc, have all made humans more productive and has raised the standard of living. Technology will continue to do this and as that happens alot of great things will probably be accomplished. Think of everything that we have done already.
I think if things become too easy and simple, people will be bored. People want and need to think in the order to live. I can almost say that people actually enjoy the process of going through struggles and making them fixed, otherwise, if there are no obstacles, it will not be fun. I think doing nothing is much harder to do than doing lots of work. So if things become too simple, I think that people want to have more options.
I definitely think things can be "too simple". Today we allow computers do do a lot of the thinking for us. We become entranced into the mind-numbing influence that is the internet and television and lose track of our ability to do this thinking on our own.
Post a Comment
<< Home