Saturday, January 17, 2009

Seth_1_I

I just thought it was interesting that all of chapter one was written with the sole purpose of defining interactive design. It concluded that interactive design was about bringing people together; not about humans interacting with computers.

I guess I've never thought about it like that. I've always thought that cyber interactions really make people disconnected, not connected. I think sites like Facebook and games like WOW give people a false feeling of connectedness.

...I guess that's an idea? :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Justin Shimp said...

I had similar thoughts about the chapter. I think its interesting to see how our need to communicate and interact with each other comes out and progresses technology in order to do exactly that. I feel the potential for these progressions are virtually endless!

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger boomerang! said...

I agree with you on cyber interactions making people more disconnected than connected. I think it gives people a false sense of closeness, like people who have a bunch of friends on WOW or Second Life & thinking these "friends" are a good substitute for talking to people in real life.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Tetta Oyama said...

At Bryanna, maybe we could distinguish the difference between physically connected and virtually connected, so when people get online to talk to their friends online, they will have less interaction with their friends physically but virtually. People are still connected in a virtual way.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

Facebook and Myspace actually help me stay connected. With friends around the country and people constantly changing phone numbers, it can be hard to stay in touch with some people. But with sites like Facebook, I can send my friend a message without disrupting his or her day and I can be guaranteed that this person receives my message. I also agree with you though, because sometimes people start to rely on this convenience and stop calling or stopping by to say hi. It's just kind of how you choose to use these new technologies I suppose.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger James said...

I think that even though new technology can fragment culture into smaller and smaller sections, interaction design helps bring those small groups together. In my opinion, it's helping like minded people find each other in ways that weren't possible until the invention of interaction design technologies such as the web.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Chris Richardson said...

I also agree with this point. Just because you write on someone's Facebook wall, does not mean you are still as close to someone as you would be actually talking to them. Physical interaction cannot be replaced. Although these tools for interaction are great for finding contact information.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home