Justin_3_I
The part of the chapter that most caught my attention was the section on the Magical Number Seven. I've never thought about how many items were in a drop-down menu before or about how many bits of information are on a single screen. My short-term memory isn't the greatest, but I don't feel that having more than 9 or less than 5 items in a menu would inhibit my ability to remember what was there.
Labels: JGeisler

4 Comments:
I don't know how much that this rule is true but I do think about tests that we take. First reading the directions and then the possible answers... it just seems that we can hold much more than what is said.
I agree. I don't think that this rule has alot of truth to it. I know that alot of text is usually bad because most people don't want to read a block of lines. It just looks boring.
I don't think this rule applies so much to menu items as it would to having to perform a sequence of tasks manually to get somewhere and then find one's way back with no assistance... which STILL basically nullifies his argument because we have things like "breadcrumb trails" and "persistent navigation."
They had mentioned in the chapter, that instances like on a website where the information is able to be referenced, the rule isn't true.
Post a Comment
<< Home