Monday, February 2, 2009

Evan_3_I

I thought the Poka-Yoke Principle was very interesting. I assumed that most plugs were designed the way they are out of function, i.e. a firewire plug-in is shaped the way it is because the wires inside the cable necessitate it to be shaped the way it is. Now that I know it's shaped that way to prevent people from plugging things into the wrong inputs, I'll never look at any plug the same way again.

I think the concepts of feedback and feedforward were also important concepts that Saffer addressed. And not surprisingly, Apple has embraced these concepts. For example, whenever you mouse over the dock on the bottom of the MAC OS, it gives you feedforward by increasing the size of the icon your cursor is over as well as displaying the name of the program over the icon. It then gives you feedback after you click on it by having the icon bounce. I think as Saffer continues to introduce concepts in the book, we'll find that Apple has embraced and utilized most of them throughout their products.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger James said...

I agree, i always thought that things like plugs and outlets were designed around necessity rather then to keep someone from plugging it into the wrong outlet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home