Kirk_2_Q
What I took most from this chapter was the concept that strong design utilizes a combination of the four design approaches. For example, the book uses the automobile as an example of an activity-centered design. But as we demand more synergy between our mobile devices, music players, and cars, our cars are now being designed with the users in mind more than ever, and we have more information available to us as we drive than ever before. Meanwhile, the car still manages the systems necessary to drive, however, users are now more aware of what's going on in their cars and can identify problems quicker than cars from the past.
Here's a question I was considering while writing this. What type of design approach would be used for creating a car that drives itself, with the user only inputting the destination?

2 Comments:
User-centered design?
I would say system design, mainly, but activity and genius are also part of it. Since the user isn't actually driving the car, you can't focus on user-centered.
Post a Comment
<< Home