Sunday, January 25, 2009

Evan_2_I

I think whenever we start a project we think about almost all of the approaches that Saffer mentions in the chapter. We probably use all or most of them, but I think we all end up orienting our work to the user. Saffer had user-centered design as one of the approaches, but I think that all of the approaches are user-oriented to a certain extent. The User-Oriented approach he described in the chapter is probably the extreme, where users usually decide pretty much everything. But users are usually who decide what sinks and what floats, no matter what approach is taken. Apple may not do any user testing or research, but if something goes wrong with one of their products, they'll come out with a new version based on user feedback.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger JGeisler said...

I agree that all of the approaches have to have at least some user input. Take, for example, Vista. Vista has been out a while now and is still seen as the worst of all programs to come from Apple. After a year or more of Vista, Apple finally realized that the program was a complete failure and has redesigned Vista to be more user-friendly.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Christian Long said...

I agree with your point on users pretty much deciding everything. Users are what drives the market and every single product and design. If it's not pleasing to the user, they won't buy it, and the product tanks. No matter how much research and thought goes into it, if a product doesn't cut it on the market, the chances of it staying are slim to none.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

I feel like user-centered design is the most important for people new to interactive design. For example, the play testing I've had to do for other classes has helped me get rid of "tunnel vision" when I've been working on something like a button, toolbar, or some other design element. I would be surprised if "genius design" was actually done without any user input at all.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger $eth said...

Vista was created by Microsoft...

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Tetta Oyama said...

Well, I think it comes back to the reason why people create new product that is to sell the product to the customers. Therefore, when people create new product, they cannot be just blind and ignore the target market. I think the idea is pretty straightforward.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger crazy/beautiful said...

I'm glad you said that, Seth, because I was wondering if I missed something.

Anyway, when Microsoft Vista first came out, I jumped on it and updated. I thought it was a great interface, but it had WAY too much going on; thus, my computer (which was made for XP) basically exploded. So I think even if an interface is easy to use, there may be too much going on and become overwhelming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home