Monday, January 26, 2009

Cami_2_I

A few people have already mentioned this, but I wanted to throw it out there as well: I believe that every interactive design involves all four approaches. While one approach may be dominant, you can't design something for a user without thinking of the activities involved; you can't design for a system without thinking of the individual parts of the system; you can't create a genius design without thinking of the user that will enjoy your design; and the list goes on.

I also thought it was interesting that they discussed an iPod when talking about genius design because the new iTunes has a genius feature that suggests music the user may like and creates playlists based off of a song chosen by the user. This is another great example of how two approaches can be melded together (genius and user-centered).

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jacob Barnard said...

I think that user consideration is nearly unavoidable unless concern for the user of a device or software is a non-issue (which is rarely if ever the case).

I think there is always going to be a user either directly or indirectly, even if the designed entity is a self-sustaining system (i.e. wind mills that generate electricity). Even indirectly used systems require an interface for humans to harness the result. One might argue that we could include the interface into the system and call that whole thing the "system." Then, I suppose, there is direct user interaction.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger boomerang! said...

I think you're right to say that designs usually encompass all approaches. I think that these approaches are intertwined and that you cannot use one method without thinking of another.

Another example of what you were talking about with the Genius feature is Pandora radio, which uses a system to match what you like with new music. www.pandora.com

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Justin Shimp said...

Genius design doesn't necessarily mean the genius feature on itunes. I know tons of recommendations that were just flat out wrong when i was using that feature on itunes. I think its a great features for Itunes but a horrible feature for those with rare music collections. Just because it says genius doesnt mean that it is.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

I'm interested in knowing if other people in the class consider the ipod to be a "genius design." It's not as if the ipod was the first mp3 player on the market. Shouldn't most of the credit go to the marketing of the ipod instead of the design itself?

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

I agree with Kirk on the iPod idea. At first it was just another mp3 player and definitely not the first, but after a couple years of marketing, the iPod was in every household. Although today's advances with the iPod are pretty impressive now compared to only a few years ago. As for the genius design, I'm not really sold on the iTunes feature being genius, it's just another good marketing scheme.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home