JustinG_2_Q
The author states that Genius Design is how most interaction design is done today and that designers use their 'best judgement' as to what users want while they are designing. The problem I see with Genius Design is that the lack of User input could seriously hurt the final project. Although designers may feel that they have the skill and knowledge to produce a great working product for users, I feel that user input is a necessity. (Even for Apple) If the users of a product are unhappy and unable to produce the results they wish, the product will fail.
I believe that all designers should use user input as much as they possibly can. Thoughts? (Take in to consideration the Vista OS)
Labels: JGeisler

3 Comments:
I agree with you that total disregard for user input can result in a failing product. Although in the book the author says that the reason Apple doesn't do user testing is for "security reasons" I don't really see why they couldn't get users to sign something that says "I'll keep my mouth shut and if not, Apple has permission to sue the pants off me." It seems like it'd make more sense to have users testing it along the way, but their genius model seems to be working well so far...
It is important to listen to your customers when your designing a new product. Often times you can create something that sounds good on paper but it ends up being a nightmare in reality because it is hard to use for the average person.
In the technology world though, there is a great concern for leaking too much information about a product because your competitors can catch wind of it and produce something exactly the same. So, I think that it would be a good idea to have more user input, but in the end, it may not be worth it to risk leaking this information. Besides, you can improve your design over time right? Like Windows Vista? haha
I think user input should not come into the product till as close to the end as possible or even after wards. (Yes Vista was an epic fail, but at least they tried and learned. Your not going to get it every time.) With genius design it gives the designer the ability to do what ever they might want to do with a product and explore new and exciting ways to work around stuff. Besides, did Thomas Edison have user input for the light bulb? Nope, it worked and than it evolved.
Post a Comment
<< Home