Tetta__2__I
According to Saffer, the author of the book, "genius design is when the designer relies on his or her own experience and skill to design, without any input from users. It's done by designers who either don't have the resources or the inclination or temperament to do research." (http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jul2006/id20060728_334148_page_3.htm)
To me, the term "genius design" sounds like impossibly successful products created by accidental creations that may include some luck. I still think that research in fields to make new products is necessary in the order to produce well-made products.
Labels: Tetta Oyama

5 Comments:
I agree with your point on research always being needed. I don't think we will ever come to a point where producers will decide on a product and not release it to the public without doing some type of research. This would be like taking a test in Calculus or something of that nature. Yea, you may know how to add and subtract but there's much more that goes into it. Referring to a product and research, yea you may have some type of idea about who to aim the product to but there's much more research that should be done to make the product successful in my opinion.
I would really say "accidental creations". I think it is just part of the process of trying to create something that you think people will buy. There will always be a need for research, in terms of how to actually make a product and the marketing of the product.
I like the idea of trying to create something new. Who knows if it is really needed but why not try and be creative and come up with something. I agree that research is needed and just think how many times in history someone was researching one thing and found something totally different! "Accidental creations", just became a product.
I agree. I feel like it would be impossible to create a perfect design without some user input. To make the products that apple does they have to have some type of research in the mix in order to deliver the products that they do.
Agreed... If it weren't for research and users making suggestions, many designs would still be annoying and have that problem that you wish they would fix. For example, the new music player Songbird is still new and has many people contributing ideas to make it better and better. When you open the program for the first time, there is a disclaimer regarding how some of the features are new and they're not sure how people will like them. They also ask you to make suggestions on any ideas you have.
Post a Comment
<< Home