Chris_3_I
I thought the section on appearance was interesting. Saffer discussed how just looking at an object gives us some idea of how it should be used. He discusses affordances; how we know to push buttons because we've done it before. Appearance gives us cues on how to operate something based on shape, weight, or even color. For example, he talks on how if something is sleek and shiny we believe it to be expensive. Another example he mentions is that the shape of a chair gives us an inclination that it is meant to be sat in. I think this is useful information, but I also think when designing something not much conscious thought is put into its appearance.
Labels: Chris Richardson

3 Comments:
Appearance is such an important thing especially in web sites, in my opinion. Some sites just are a pain to look at and if that happens, I usually tend to go somewhere else. A site that is looking to get their content read and see should give the appearance that doesn't even make the user think about the design.
I'd have to disagree with you on appearance. I think quite a bit of conscious thought goes into appearance, afterall it's the first thing that users will see when they look at the object/web site/etc. If the appearance isn't pleasing, the user will not use the application.
I also think a lot of thought goes into appearance, not only just for the sake of the object/site being visually pleasing, but also so that that it is functional as well. Designing this combination must take a great deal of thought.
Post a Comment
<< Home