Seth_6_I
As I read through chapter 6, I liked the brief section toward the beginning with commentary from Luke Wroblewski (author of Site-Seeing: A visual approach to web usability). The part I found most useful was when they asked him, "What are some of the common interface mistakes that new interaction designers make?" He answered something to the effect that beginners try to make everything "findable" so everything has the same visual weight. The problem with this is the audience will so so much jumping out at them that they won't be able to keep their eyes from moving all over the screen. I thought his advice to calm things down and find a middle ground with visual organization and personality was good. I'll have to keep that in mind while designing.
Labels: Seth Winn

3 Comments:
I agree. I think it would hurt the design as well if everything were 'findable.' It would just make the design confusing or overwhelming.
I also thought this was a good section of the chapter. We can all recognize a website that puts too much emphasis on everything. Making sure a project has a good visual flow is very important.
This also kinda refer back to where the chapter discusses visual flow and creating hierarchies that can help to define related items.
Post a Comment
<< Home