Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Patrick_6_I

When reading chapter 6 of the book, I found the section about visual flow to be helpful and interesting.  Saffer mentioned that in the western world, the eye generally travels from left to right, top to bottom.  The diagram in the book with the squares seems pleasing and easy to follow because of the visual flow that the designer kept in mind.  Using subtleties like this can easily help the usability of your design.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jacob Barnard said...

Yes. Again, we see the idea of "context" coming into play. Some of the best programs 'understand' the context (or locale) in which they reside.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Kirk said...

I think everyone should browse around http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com

There's a lot of truly horrible designs, for businesses that presumably paid a lot of money to get made.

Just look at http://www.teacherxpress.com/ ... huge LOL to them.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Christian Long said...

This is something that is definitely important to keep in mind when making sites. Sometimes it is good to stray from the norm to make something unique but I could also see that turning off viewers and making them go to a different page. I try to make all my sites go left to right and easy on the eye.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home